You know that disorder they talk about when you don't see the sun in forever? Like what happens every single Indiana winter? Well, in an effort to curb my sinking mood, I'm going to list a bunch of stuff that makes me happy. I find this to be very helpful therapy. And cheap. It is cheap therapy, which is all anyone can afford these days.
1. Jack snuggles. This kid is a champion snuggler. I finally taught one of my kids to give me snuggles. You just can't be sad with a mouth full of orange curls as your kid burrows into your shoulder with a sweet little "my mommy" escaping his lips.
2. Qdoba taco salads. Yum.
3. When William just walks up to me and says, "Mom, what is the Cat's Eye Nebula?" And 10 seconds later he is trying to explain to me how to get another extra life on Mario Brothers. And 10 seconds after that he is telling me that even though he is 7, he really loves the Clifford movie and wants to watch it. And 10 seconds later he wants to read me a story he wrote.
4. The squirrels on our back deck. I love to watch them eat squirrel corn.
5. The fact that Henry and William spent a lot of time making Valentines for each other today with out Luke or I suggesting they do such a thing. And that they are both adamant about hiding them until Valentines Day for each other.
6. That Henry can write his name, tell me the sounds that letters make, spell a few words, and he wants to be able to add and read. He has totally blossomed in the past two months and it is just so exciting to watch.
7. Word puzzle books. Just got my first one from my subscription I bought with Christmas money. Puzzle books that come in the mail are even better than just plain puzzle books. Mail (that isn't a bill) also makes me very happy.
8. The half hour that happens once every three weeks where all the laundry is done.
9. When Luke comes home. Days are long when you are the only grown up in the house! I could say something snarky here about Luke not being a real grown up, but that would be so beneath me. But teasing Luke is also something that makes me happy...
10. The ladies in my life. Mom, sisters, aunts, friends...in this testosterone world I have gotten myself into, you are so important to me.
11. You guys too. Dad, uncles, friends...I like you guys too. : )
12. A fresh jar of peanut butter. I love when you open it and it is untouched and smells so good. Only made better by a perfect green apple to spread it on.
13. The Colts. Oh, Peyton, I'm counting on you!
That's it for now. The kids are literally jumping off the couch onto the ottoman and then falling onto the floor. They are yelling "ow, ow, ow, ow" and making strange spitting noises. I'm kind of afraid to go in there, actually. Maybe I'll just keep typing until they stop. Of course, then I may never stop typing. I think if I left them to their own devices, they would explode into a glorious burst of light and giggles. That's my current theory anyway....
2 comments:
I can't to be home next week and have a full-on Megan and Bickel Boys day!
I love this post. It is so easy to forget the things that make you smile when the world feels cold and everything looks grey. I thought I would share a few of my favorite things in the dead of a Boston winter,...
1. walking outside late at night after a snowfall when it's completely silent and it seems that you are the only person awake
2. curling up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate and watching House reruns for an entire evening
3. waking up next to my cozy husband on a Sunday morning and realizing we don't have to get up
4. watching my little puppy run madly through the snow as happy as can be
5. spending a Saturday afternoon baking with all of my awesome new kitchen gadgets that we received for wedding presents
6. reading my niece's blog about my adorable grand-nephews : )
7. petting my kitties incredibly soft fur
8. when the dishes are done, the dishwasher is empty, the laundry is folded and put away, the kitty litter is clean, my puppy is bathed, and the house is vacuumed,...wait, that never happens!
9. opening a cold beer after a long day at work
10. crawling into bed...
Post a Comment