I hope you are all having a lovely Valentine's day! We had had a good time here celebrating that and Luke's birthday. We started off with a flurry of Valentine exchanges first thing this morning. I seriously cried when Henry gave his home-made Valentine to William and explained that that the two smiley faces he had drawn were he and William. William proudly gave me some lotion and a box of Hershey's kisses that Jack was very interested in. Jack kept saying, "oh chocolate! How nice!" The boys each gave Luke an IndyCar Hot Wheel. Then I scrambled to wrap Luke's birthday presents, because I'm just that prepared!
Then it was off to CCD classes for Henry and William. Luke, Jack and I went to Einstein's Bagels for a yummy breakfast. Then we picked the other boys back up. I then scrambled to wrap the kid's Valentine gifts, because I'm just that prepared! : ) Next it was off to the kitchen to bake birthday cupcakes. Sadly I have only one muffin pan, so I made 12 perfectly lovely cupcakes and then chose to put the rest of the batter into these aluminum star shaped baking cup thingys. I ignored the advice to only fill them halfway, or I have no depth perception and couldn't tell how much was halfway, whichever you choose to believe. The stars overflowed all over the place and made a lovely mess and they only slightly resemble stars now. In the mean time, Luke went to a taco van outside of a barbecue shack to get us tacos for lunch. Sounds terrible, tastes out of this world!
After lunch we sang "Happy Birthday" (the Tom Chapin version for those of you who are in-the-know) and gave Luke his gifts. I have to admit they were rather boring on my part. The kids found it rather hysterical and puzzling that dad got things like pants and a book of car wash coupons and something to plug into the car to listen to his iPhone.
Then came our traditional Valentine's day scavenger hunt. This is a tradition from my family. Considering how notoriously awful I was at this game, it may come as a surprise that I chose to carry on this tradition. In fact, I think that every year I either had to have my sisters help me decipher the clues or my parents would just get tired of waiting for me and tell me where the next clue was. One year my parents were feeling particularly evil or lazy or punch-drunk or something and all my clues were things like "in a plant" and "a chair". That may sound easy, but if you have ever looked under every chair in a house or in every plant my mother owns, you would understand the sheer amount of work I did for my little stuffed animal that year!
Anyway, we have the rule that you get the same number of clues as your age and we go youngest to oldest. Jack proved to be highly unobservant as Luke had to put his hand on his clue that was right in front of his face before he saw it. Henry displayed how very bad I am at writing clues as it took him a grand total of 90 seconds to get through his clues and on to his gift. William asked me for "hard clues" this year, so he actually had trouble coming up with a few of them. I was proud of myself for writing something "hard" and proud of him for carrying on my tradition of bad-clue-finding. In the end, every boy got a shirt and a fun gift.
The day is only half over and I'm sure we have more fun in store, but I'm mainly planning on watching the Olympics and moaning over the fact that I've eaten a coffee cake, a bagel, and a giant van-taco today.
No comments:
Post a Comment