Saturday, January 23, 2010

Four boys, a bee, and me

As I pace frantically waiting for the Colts game (it is a whole 26 hours away at this point), I thought I should channel my energy into something.  I worked out for 30 minutes on Wii Fit and then contemplated cleaning my house, but instead, I decided to write to you fine people!  After all, I did just workout and I can only be expected to do one grown up thing a day.

Yesterday was an interesting one.  A week before I had arranged with one of the Co-Op moms to have her son, Johnny, come visit us for the afternoon.  Then the night before I got a call from a neighborhood mom asking if I could watch her son after school until she got home from work.  Sure!  The more the merrier!

So, I spent a fairly calm morning with Jack while the other two were in school.   My favorite moment from the morning is when Jack crawled onto my lap and held my face in his hands and said, "you are my little baby mommy."  I often tell him he is my little baby, so I thought this was super cute. 

Then we picked Henry and Johnny up from school.  Johnny came up to me and said, "do you know I'm going home with you?  Isn't that weird?"  I could only agree that it was, indeed, weird.  We drove home from school (which takes about 90 seconds) and Johnny said, "is that all?" when we pulled into the driveway.  We sat down to a lunch of Lunchables, which was very popular.  Then I spent the next two hours convincing Henry that he should go play with Johnny, not watch TV/play video games/play on the computer.  Johnny had a grand time discovering our toys, Henry mainly whined, but eventually got the picture and started playing.  At one point Jack found the bee costume that Tricia sent a few days ago (see pictures in post below) and insisted that he wear it the rest of the day.  Not the rest of the afternoon, or the rest of the game...the rest of the DAY.  He loves that costume!

Then we went to go pick up William and Austin.  When all the boys met up, they all instantaneously broke into a full out race back home.  Why?  Because they are boys.  Then we all sat down to snack, then all went to play MouseTrap in the basement, then another snack, then a general "game" of running around the house, taking out every toy we own and bumping into each other.  By then, I was exhausted and declared it to be "Clifford Time!"  I put on a Clifford DVD and all five boys (well, four boys and a bee) sat down and were quiet.  God bless TV.

Then Austin was picked up and we started getting ready to bring Johnny home.  I could not find my shoes anywhere, so I put on my slippers.  I could not get Jack to take off the bee costume, so we just threw his coat over it.  I piled everyone in the car and we drove.  I pulled up to a house and realized I had inadvertently driven to the house of a different Co-Op family and I had no clue how to get to Johnny's house from where I was.  So, I swallowed my pride (if I had any) and went up and rang the doorbell of the wrong family and asked how to get to Johnny's house.  I'm sure that didn't seem strange, right?

We finally got to Johnny's house and dropped him off.  I got a call from Luke and we decided to go to Noble Roman's for dinner.  I had to explain to my husband that I would need him to swing by the house and pick up my shoes and that his youngest son was dressed as a bee.  Luke took this all in stride (well, he teased me mercilessly first) and we went to dinner.  I can't tell you how funny it was to have those two boys and a bee watching the pizza being made through the window to the kitchen.  As we left, William said, "hey, isn't this Johnny's car seat back here?"   So, we went back to Johnny's house (found it by myself this time!) and returned the car seat and then came home.  Much arguing ensued when I insisted Jack take off the bee costume for bedtime.

I'm still tired.

1 comment:

ellie crawford said...

maybe if you weren't CRAZY and collecting MORE boys than you already have, you wouldn't be so tired :)