Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Venting about vaccinations

I just wanted to share my general frustration with the world.  Thanks to H1N1 my kids need a combined 10 vaccinations this winter!  Since they are all under 10, they each need two H1N1s.  And since I was a spaz last year and forgot to get Jack's second seasonal shot, he needs two of those this year.  Then William and Henry also needed their one seasonal. 

Well, we took care of the first seasonal for everyone at our doctor's flu clinic in October.  Then William got one H1N1 at school in November(I found it wildly inconvenient that they only gave them one and didn't follow up with the second).  I had Jack and Henry signed up for H1N1 at their doctor, but they both got a cold that week and couldn't get them.  By the time they were better, the doctor was out of H1N1.

So, I waited for more H1N1 to be available to the public (after calls to the Health Department were met with a laugh when I asked where I could get them three weeks ago).  Finally, pharmacies were given them.  So I took Jack for his first H1N1 last Thursday at a nearby Walgreens.  They ran out of them before I got Henry or William there.  Then today I was determined to mark some more of these things off my list.  So, I drove all the way out to Avon to get H1N1s for Henry and William and the 2nd seasonal for Jack.  The RN then told me that they didn't have any more juvenile seasonal vaccines for Jack, but they had some in Speedway.  GRRR!  I hadn't gone to Speedway because they don't have H1N1.  So, we got the H1N1s for the older boys and then drove back to Speedway for Jack's seasonal.  Now I just have to wait a month and track down two more H1N1s for Henry and Jack.

This, of course, doesn't even take me into account!  I scheduled a seasonal vaccine for myself a month ago and after waiting in the waiting room with all three kids for 20 minutes, was told they ran out.  Since I had a reaction last year from my shot, I wanted to get it done in a doctor's office.  I'm going to have to track one down for me after I get all hopped up on antihistamines.   Thankfully Luke got his at his office. 

I think it would have been easier to live in a bubble!

No comments: