Howdy folks! I'm feeling very country today because I get to ride on a John Deere combine this weekend! It is a birthday present from my parents, who arranged it with a local farmer. How fun is that?!
Anyway, on to our day.
This morning I had to contend with our foster cat's need for a.m. attention. Orion has gotten increasingly vocal in the mornings. He is no longer shy about asking for our undivided attention before the kids wake up (and when they go to sleep at night). He and Luke have lengthy morning conversations about this need. It is very funny to watch.
I mentioned on Twitter this morning that Jack can't seem to go anywhere without his Ed Carpenter #20 IndyCar. I was excited that Ed tweeted back that he was happy to have a new fan. Yes, I'm excited about a combine ride and IndyCar drivers tweeting to me. I realize I'm a Hoosier nerd.
I was a chaperon (spell check says that is how you spell it, but it looks wrong to me) for Henry's class field trip to see a production of "Charlotte's Web". I spent about an hour the other day cleaning out my car so I could fit other children in it and they wouldn't be lost in a sea of goldfish cracker crumbs, empty juice boxes, and broken pieces of McDonald's toys. So, before I left for school this morning, I had to take out Lucy's car seat (which I dropped on my toes and cursed like a sailor in my mind). Then, when I got to school, I put William's booster seat and Jack's car seat in the trunk. Then I put three school kid's booster seats in the car. I left Jack with a fellow Co-Op Mom and then climbed into my car with Henry, three little girls and Mrs. Ward (their teacher).
Before the show started a teacher from the school we were at for the play came by and asked our kids if they were excited about seeing "Charlotte's Web." Henry replied that his brother, William, had just found a cool new show about Lego Star Wars. The poor teacher looked very confused by this leap in conversation. Henry made her give up when he followed up this information with the fact that his favorite color was green.
I was extremely impressed with our kids at the play. They sat relatively quietly for an hour and 10 minute show! As a bit of a theater snob, I had a hard time watching the show. Charlotte kept forgetting her lines! Dude! You are Charlotte! And your audience is mainly 0-5 years old! Go with the flow lady! Anyway, the kids enjoyed it, so, that is all that matters I suppose (not the overly critical ramblings of a frustrated actress). The highlight of the field trip did seem to be finding giant fallen leaves in the parking lot, though.
We got back to the school, unloaded three booster seats, re-installed one car seat and one booster seat, picked up Jack and skedaddled. We decided that Burger King was in order because I was exhausted. The boys got some SpongeBob character thingy in their kid's meals and Jack said his guy was sad. I asked why and he said, "he crying." I asked if he was hurt and Jack said "no." So I asked if the guy was sad that his Daddy went to work (since that is the only other reason Jack cries these days) and he said, "yes, his Daddy at work," and he made this little pouty face that would break your heart.
We then ventured to the library and then home. Pulling into the driveway Henry burst into tears and announced we had forgotten to check out some "I Spy" software. So I had to promise we would go back to the library after we got William.
On the way to get William, Jack tripped and fell (that becomes significant later). When we were waiting at the end of our street for William, Jack and Henry fought over who got to stand on the water company cover thingy. They like it because it is spray-painted blue. So, I had to count to 20 while Jack stood on it, then pull him off and count to 20 while Henry stood on it and back and forth until William got there. So, I spent about 5 minutes counting off 20 second increments. Jack spent every other one of those increments throwing a fit while Henry spun around and around on the cover. Fun.
On the way back home, Jack tripped and fell.
We piled in the car and drove back to the library. On the way into the library Jack tripped and fell. Once in the library, the librarians (one of which is Jack's preschool teacher, Ms. Kenny) looked at me like I was nutty since I had just been there 2 hours before. William told me he wanted to check out books on constellations, so I looked for those while William played a math game on the computer, Jack watched the opening credits of a Magic School Bus game on the computer, and Henry ran around looking for a step stool that he squeaked loudly across the Children's room to get "I Spy" off the shelf. Jack also loudly pointed out the kitties on the mouse pad at the computer and kept saying "Ahh, so cute!"
We then checked out and Ms. Kenny asked if I'd be back in a couple hours. Never did like that Ms. Kenny! : )
We got home, got out of the car and Jack tripped and fell into the pine tree.
I then called Ellie on Skype and talked to her in between Jack falling two more times, Henry insisting he get to play "I Spy" now, William avoiding his homework by complaining that his brothers were bothering him, and screaming repeatedly that the kids "LEAVE THAT CAT ALONE!" I like to make Ellie feel like she is a part of the action.
So, that is where we are now. Luke is due home in 15 minutes and then we are off to a birthday dinner for Tio Marty at Texas Roadhouse. I'm sure my children will be well behaved and I'll enjoy a leisurely dinner. Isn't delusion fun?
Check out the Halloween pics below if you haven't already! Also, a note: the time stamp on when I post these things is always wrong for some reason! Don't trust it! : )
3 comments:
i enjoy being part of the action :)
You have such an eventful life. I, on the other hand, spent my day in relative quiet on the grounds of Our Lady of the Snows Shrine near St. Louis. I walked around a lot and contempleted the leaves and journaled and prayed ... then after lunch I took a nap. There, aren't you glad you have such an action packed life?
I meant contemplated, not contempleted ... which I'm pretty sure isn't really a word.
Post a Comment